The weather in Toronto today was absolutely beautiful. It was the perfect day for a picnic on Centre Island. I love picnics and potlucks because I can show my friends that vegan food is not boring!
I went a little crazy and used three grains today: quinoa, millet and barley. The chrysanthemum greens are from my parents’ backyard and add the perfect tang and spiciness to the sweet bell peppers.
- 1 1/2 cup mixed grains
- 3 assorted bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- bunch of chrysanthemum greens
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp crushed red chili
- pinch of chili powder
- salt to taste
- Cook grains to your preference.
- In a frying pan, heat a few tablespoons of water on high. No oil used in this recipe!
- Once the water starts boiling, add the bell peppers and the minced garlic. Cover with the lid for 5 minutes.
- Add all seasoning spices into the pan and stir well. Leave the pan uncovered until all the water has evaporated.
- Add the cooked bell peppers to the cooked grains with the juice of one lime. Combine well.
- Once the mixture has cooled a bit, add in the chrysanthemum greens.