I’m starting a new series called TREAT YOSELF which features delicious indulgent recipes that take tender love and care (read: more time) to make. These recipes are still vegan and relatively healthy, but I wouldn’t be eating these every day. These would be recipes that you would want to make on a weekend or when you’re trying to impress a special someone 😉 I made mine for breakfast but this could also be a dessert!
These crepes are fashioned after my favourite French crepes topped with lemon and sugar. Those are my favourite kind, over the ones stuffed with banana and nutella, cause I’m a simple girl, ya know? I had to throw in the strawberries because it’s summer and strawberries are so cheap in the summer! And coconut sugar instead of white sugar because we’re hip like that.
Lemon Strawberry Crepes topped with Coconut Sugar – makes 6 crepes, 3 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil + more for the pan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Whisk together in a mixing bowl: all-purpose flour, baking powder, maple syrup, non-dairy milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth to create the batter.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium high heat. Add a tsp of vegetable oil to the pan, then take a folded paper towel to wipe the oil all over the pan.
- Add 1/3 cup of batter to the pan. Lift the pan and tilt it around to spread the batter out in a thin circle.
- Cover the pan with a lid for 2 minutes, then carefully flip the crepe with a spatula, and cook for 1 minute on the second side.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until all the batter is used.
- To fill the crepes, cut a lemon in half and softly rub the lemon juice onto the surface area of the crepe.
- Place sliced strawberries on half of the crepe. Fold in half, then fold in quarters.
- Top with more lemon juice and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
P.S. This crepe can be filled anyway you want. If you happen to love nutella (like my boyfriend), you make the same crepe and add nutella! (It won’t be vegan though). Or let me know what other filling combinations you come up with.